Final Thoughts

Now that the show is over it feels very strange not being with Sherbet Lemon Theatre every day, I got so used to seeing that lovely lot all the time. Now, I have a few final thoughts which I would like to address here.

Firstly, the show went marvellously well and the reception and feedback we got from it warmed my heart. It was so amazing to see that so many people were willing to spend their money on attending our show; we worked so hard to get it where it is now so all of the hard work definitely paid off!

Secondly, I am so proud of the Sherby Lems for all of their hard work and dedication to creating a new, unique piece of theatre, as “investors need convincing with an attractive proposition, which means a strong creative team and an attractive cast” (Trueman, 2013), Sherbet Lemon Theatre are in a very good place. Our show is unique in the ways it invites and engages an audience, as well as presenting uniquely hilarious content. Our strength as an ensemble is also testament to the strength and dedication of our creative and technical teams. They made it very easy for me, in my role as producer, to communicate well with each aspect of production. This was largely due to our weekly production meetings where we would address deadlines and other pressing matters.

So what have I learnt in my role as producer? I have a new understanding for what it means to have a foot in every door, metaphorically speaking of course, and keeping a close eye on every aspect of production. All of this “comes with experience and, as a new producer, it’s the one thing you don’t have” (Trueman, 2013). I have always found working with others enjoyable so this aspect of producing came as second nature to me; people management seems to be a strong point. Managing the company budget was completely new to me, and took a while to get my head around. I have learnt the importance of writing everything down in order to keep things as simple as possible, especially when it comes to numbers. If you would like to see more about how I managed the company budget, see the blog post under the ‘Producer’ tab.

So what’s next? I can tell you one thing for certain; this is not the end of Sherbet Lemon Theatre! We will be back to tell you The Truth about Bedtime…

H.M.

Trueman, M. (2013) So you want to be a theatre producer? Manchester: The Guardian. Available from https://www.theguardian.com/culture-professionals-network/culture-professionals-blog/2013/may/20/how-to-be-theatre-producer [Accessed 27 May 2018].